Skip to main content

Week 9 Reading and Writing

 

Week 9 Reading and Writing


https://pixabay.com/illustrations/emoji-happy-smiley-face-smile-5449648/



So now I am currently in Week 9 of the semester, and I must say I have been doing quite well when it comes to the tasks for each week and I have been keeping up with everything. For this blog, I will be talking about how the reading and writing assignments have been working for me during the duration of this module this semester. 


For starters, the thing that helped when I was doing these reading and writing tasks was that I was able to really understand what a game was all about. I read about Game Design, Game Elements, GDD's and how to make one and MDA's. My favourite reading that I did overall, has got to be the Game Design Document reading. This taught me what the process is like when making a game and this is where everything begins when trying to make a game. A developer uses a Game Design Document as a memory aid or a communication tool to give themselves and other developers a good idea about what they are actually developing.  They also might use this as a checklist to tick off all the necessary components of developing the game.


I was reading a few of the articles on Game Design Documents and all these articles help me further understand the subject of GDD's and then I eventually made one myself. At first, I taught it was going to be difficult because it looks quite long and broad to do but I actually broke down the necessary components I need for my game specifically and it became way easier than I thought. All these reading articles and notes that are given each week, gave me a better understanding of all these topics on Game Development. I was sceptical at first about game development at the first few weeks of doing it but now I am getting quite used to it and I am loving all the challenges that are given to me.


The game that I am working on right now is a work in progress. I am kind of half and half about it, I am quite happy with the amount of progress I made on my game but I am also kind of not in a way because there are some things about my game that are quite hard to get around. There are some things that are quite difficult to work such as the jump feature and the collide detection which I really want to fix. And when I do, I will feel much more confident in finishing the rest of my game.  


One of my biggest accomplishments for this module I think has to be the progress I made on my game so far and this is something I am very proud of. I will be much more proud when I am finished with my game. This is an experience I had in this module that had taken my creativity to a whole new level.


The thing I want to do to get more out of my readings and writings is try to implement and experiment with new strategies in order to complete these readings more efficiently. That's what I feel about this module which is experimenting. I am always experimenting with new strategies, new tasks, new challenges being presented and that's what I love about this module.





Comments

  1. Hello Nassim

    Loved reading this, I completely agree when it comes to the readings, considering that it lets us know what is the psychology behind making a game. I have seen your game and your progress and I am astonished by it. It is evident that so much work has gone behind it. I understand about the little tweaks that are hard to get around, but you will get around it. I cannot wait to see what your game is like.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My First Playable

  First Playable My First Playable game so far At this point right now in the process of making my game, I have now implemented the environment, the 3d character, the HUD interface of the gold coins, the player being able to run forward across the map and move left and right avoiding the obstacles pressing the left and right keys or the A and D keys. I also implemented the trigger where when you run across the coins you are able to collect the coins and the number of coins you collect will appear on the top left of the screen. I adjusted the main camera angle to be a third-person view of the entire game so it gives a good perspective of the coins and the obstacles. I then added plants to give it a better aesthetic and look to the game. The thing I wanted to change from my original vision was that I wanted to make the game way more suited to the theme of the game itself. So instead of wooden spikes, I added logs and instead of tree trunks I added regular trees and then I also added rock

Introduction to a Future Success

  Introduction to myself :)  This is me Nasim Slavotic :) Hello! My name is Nasim Slavotic, I am 20 years old and I am now a 2nd-year student in TUDublin Blanchardstown doing Creative Digital Media. I am from Dublin and I work part-time in my dad's butcher shop here in Blanchardstown in Coolmine near the post office.  What are my hobbies?  In my free time, I like to go to the gym. Also, I like to go out and take pictures with my camera and make videos on my Youtube channel (NaSiM101) which I took a break from for a while from the pandemic but I do love to brainstorm new ideas for videos and discover new trending things. I also love going out with my friends but now I am starting to go back out again since the pandemic had closed everything before but now everything is coming back to normal slowly but surely. When I'm bored I like to head on Photoshop and Illustrator and just make whatever comes in my mind.  https://pxhere.com/en/photo/1621191 Favourite Foods  I am a foodie at h

Alpha

  Alpha  This is my progress, I have updated the HUD and I added a few more features in the environment What is going good? So far so good, the game is coming along well. There are a few scripts I put in such as collecting coins, player movement, environment design, generating random levels and level boundaries.  The Technical Difficulties  But there are a few technical difficulties I am going through which is every time I try to put a rigid body component into my player when I added the jump feature into my player controller script, the player for some reason falls through the map and I tried many times trying to fix the issue but I will try my very hardest to fix it. I also need to add in collision detection with the obstacles and when the player does collide with one of the obstacles it will say game over and you have to restart again. Those are some of the difficulties I am facing, I will try and reach my lecturer or one of my peers in class to see if they know the issue behind thi