Skip to main content

Game Brainstorm

 Game Brainstorm 



3D Catching Game 

I picked the 3D Catching game for one of my ideas because I feel like these games are simple to play, the controls and the mechanics are not complicated and anyone can play them. From my knowledge, inside of a catching game, the player needs to use its abilities to move around the map, stay focused and catch certain objects such as balls, fruits, food, animals, etc with precision. And the more objects that you catch the more difficult the game will get and the levels get increasingly harder and more fun. The objects will either fall faster or there will be such things that you are not allowed to catch such as spikes, bombs, unhealthy food etc in general just bad things can't be caught.  The things I would like to learn if I were to make a catching game is : 

  • Learn the fundamentals of making a game.
  • Learn the different mechanics of controlling and moving a player.
  • Learn how to make the player catch objects.
  • Learn how to add a point system telling the player how many of a certain object they caught. 
  • Learn how to add the good things to catch and add also the bad things that you are supposed to avoid and not catch.

The type of game I want to create is a 3D Catching Game that anyone can be able to play, I also want to make a game that gets more difficult the more you play it and the more points you get.  


Here is a link to a Youtube video that I found and it is an example of what type of game I want to create  
This is an example of a certain catching I want to make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT6k8U5x0NI



The green stuff is apples and the red stuff are strawberries and they need to be caught to gain points.  And the black stuff is bombs that will explode if you catch them so they need to be avoided.





3D Platformer 

This is the very popular Super Mario Bros, this is played on the Nintendo consoles 
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/talking_point_new_super_mario_bros_is_15_years_old_and_its_still_fantastic
This is the Crash Bandicoot game, this is usually played on the Playstation Console
https://www.crashbandicoot.com/
This is Sonic the Hedgehog 
https://www.wired.com/2013/03/sonic-dash/






I picked a 3D Platformer because from my experience I played some amazing platformer games growing up such as Super Mario, Crash Bandicoot and Sonic etc. From my knowledge, inside of a platformer game, the player needs to use its abilities to jump, climb, crawl and go through difficult obstacles to go into the next round/level of the game. And the levels get increasingly harder each time and more fun. The things I would like to learn if I were to make a platformer game is   


  • How to make platformers go up and down and sideways 
  • How can enemies attack the player if I were to add any enemies? 
  • How to add checkpoints in levels 

The type of game I want to create is a simple 3D Platformer game that is simple to operate and is fun to play. I want to be able to have a good amount of levels that consists of the 3 difficulty levels : 

  • Easy 
  • Medium 
  • Hard
Here is a link to an article that I found, and this explains everything in great detail about how to design a 3D Platformer level. It gives you a good insight on how it goes such as. 

  • The process of level design 
  • The premise
  • Level Design Research 
  • Retrospect 
etc. 

This article is even great for people that are starting out trying to make games on Unity and this could be a good project for those who want to create a platformer game. This article/PDF looks promising and after reading through it for a little bit, I can conclude that this article is definitely a must-read. They even talk about if you want to make a simple single-player game or if you want to be a little more complex and make a multi-player game for those people who are into multi-player platformer games such as the popular Platformer game Fall Guys or Roblox.







3D Endless Running Game


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Run
This is Temple Run, in my opinion, is the best endless running game ever

https://www.facebook.com/jetpackjoyride/
This is Jetpack Joyride, one of the games I used to play on mobile
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kiloo.subwaysurf&hl=en_IE&gl=US
This is Subway Surfers, this is one of the 3 popular games I picked




I picked a 3D Endless Running Game because from my experience I played some mobile endless running games when I was in secondary school such as Temple Run, Jetpack Joyride, Subway Surfers and Crossy Road etc. To my knowledge, inside of an endless running game just like a platformer game,  it is an adventure type of game that just goes on forever. You earn points and win from how long you can last inside of the game, running as far as you can go avoiding obstacles, traps and enemies while running.  For example, you can be running away from people,  monsters, zombies and you can be running through different themed maps such as a jungle in Temple Run, A lab in Jetpack Joyride, A train track in Subway Surfers or things like cities, forests,  roads or anything in general if you use your imagination. These games concepts are also so simple which means anyone can play them. The things I would like to learn if I were to make an endless running game is : 


  • Learn how the mechanics work for the game to go on forever like Temple Run and Jetpack Joyride
  • Learn how to randomise obstacles and keep the player guessing what sort of thing they need to jump over next. 
  • Learn how to add a point system in the game to keep track of any gold, points or money earned in the game. 
  • Learn how to add randomised enemies that pop out from different angles such as obstacles   
The type of endless running game I want to create is a 3D based game with a scoring system, how much distance the player has covered and something that is also simple and fun to play for everyone. There will be no difficulty level. But the speed of the game increases the more distance you cover making the game more challenging.

Here is an article that I found on how to create an endless running game in Unity 3D. This goes into detail how to : 

  • Create a platform
  • Create an obstacle/enemies
  • Create a player 
And the tutorials are in video form and picture form and it is simple to follow and gives you the code to write on Visual Studios.


https://sharpcoderblog.com/blog/endless-runner-tutorial-in-unity-3d


3D Puzzler

This is Portal, a puzzle game usually played on Playstation 
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/portal-review/1900-6190126/
This is Tetris, this is one of the most popular puzzle games where you stack tiles 
https://www.polygon.com/guides/2019/2/22/18225349/tetris-strategy-tips-how-to-jonas-neubauer
This is Little Big Planet and this is one of the more creative games where players can cusomise their worlds and play in other peoples worlds and has a great story mode. Its played on the Playstation 
https://www.wired.com/2010/03/sony-media-molecule/






Another idea that I picked was a 3D Puzzler game. Because from my experience I played some puzzle games when I was growing up as a kid on the Playstation 3 I played games such as  Portal 1 and 2 which in my opinion is the best ever puzzle game to be invented. And then I also played games such as Tetris, LittleBigPlanet etc. To my knowledge, inside of a puzzle game, There are many different types of puzzle games such as an FPS puzzle game like Portal and there is a 2D puzzle game like Tetris. These types of games require you to think outside of the box in some cases, think logically and you need to solve different patterns and put them together to go to the next level. It can also be somewhat of putting tiles together such as in Tetris, Candy Crush or Bejeweled and these games are on mobile.  The things I would like to learn if I were to make a 3D Puzzler is :


  • How to make a challenging level that requires the player to think outside the box 
  • Make a reward system, congratulating players for their efforts in solving the puzzles
  • Add a point system on how many puzzles the player solved

I found this great article by using Google Scholar and searching up 3D Puzzle games and I found this article. This goes into massive detail on the Design of a 3D Puzzle game on Unity 3D. They give you an overview of puzzle games, all different types of design ideas and concepts, frameworks, character design, interface design. This is quite the read it has lots of information. This article requires you also to log into your student account to read the whole article. You click on read more, select the university you are in, log inside and you can read the whole thing.



https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/9042694/keywords#keywords

Comments

  1. Hi Nasim

    I just read over your blog and i have to say i am excited to see what your going to come up with. I am a big fan of the portal series and will love to see how you could create such a game. I also have a similar approach whereas i am going to be creating some sort of arcade game that runs in a way that replicates the greats like temple run and subway surfers etc. I Look forward to seeing your progress in the creation of the your game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nasim,

    I really like the idea of a 3d plat former as a game idea you have chosen as a possible idea. Have you considered the possibility of releasing the game as say a mobile plat former? I personally think accessibility is a great thing to add when designing a game so giving the ability for users to access and play your game from any device can really help it gain popularity. One suggestion I would give would to release the game first on pc, as it tends to be a bit easier. Then when the game has run through a series of bug fixes and glitch finding. Look into how you could possibly port it to work on mobile or even consoles at that point. Have you considered adding some sort of score tracker to your game? This can also be a great way for players to keep playing your game to beat those high scores.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Success

  Introduction to myself :)  This is me Nasim Slavotic :) Hello! My name is Nasim Slavotic, I am 20 years old and I am now a 2nd-year student in TUDublin Blanchardstown doing Creative Digital Media. I am from Dublin and I work part-time in my dad's butcher shop here in Blanchardstown in Coolmine near the post office.  What are my hobbies?  In my free time, I like to go to the gym. Also, I like to go out and take pictures with my camera and make videos on my Youtube channel (NaSiM101) which I took a break from for a while from the pandemic but I do love to brainstorm new ideas for videos and discover new trending things. I also love going out with my friends but now I am starting to go back out again since the pandemic had closed everything before but now everything is coming back to normal slowly but surely. When I'm bored I like to head on Photoshop and Illustrator and just make whatever comes in my mind.  https://pxhere.com/en/photo/1621191 Favourite Foods  I am a foodie at h

Alpha

  Alpha  This is my progress, I have updated the HUD and I added a few more features in the environment What is going good? So far so good, the game is coming along well. There are a few scripts I put in such as collecting coins, player movement, environment design, generating random levels and level boundaries.  The Technical Difficulties  But there are a few technical difficulties I am going through which is every time I try to put a rigid body component into my player when I added the jump feature into my player controller script, the player for some reason falls through the map and I tried many times trying to fix the issue but I will try my very hardest to fix it. I also need to add in collision detection with the obstacles and when the player does collide with one of the obstacles it will say game over and you have to restart again. Those are some of the difficulties I am facing, I will try and reach my lecturer or one of my peers in class to see if they know the issue behind thi

My First Playable

  First Playable My First Playable game so far At this point right now in the process of making my game, I have now implemented the environment, the 3d character, the HUD interface of the gold coins, the player being able to run forward across the map and move left and right avoiding the obstacles pressing the left and right keys or the A and D keys. I also implemented the trigger where when you run across the coins you are able to collect the coins and the number of coins you collect will appear on the top left of the screen. I adjusted the main camera angle to be a third-person view of the entire game so it gives a good perspective of the coins and the obstacles. I then added plants to give it a better aesthetic and look to the game. The thing I wanted to change from my original vision was that I wanted to make the game way more suited to the theme of the game itself. So instead of wooden spikes, I added logs and instead of tree trunks I added regular trees and then I also added rock