Skip to main content

Research on Feedback Strategies


 Research on Feedback Strategies 



https://nextbigideaclub.com/adam-grant-give-bad-feedback-without-jerk/8968/


I was reading this article about how to give feedback without offending anyone and I have learned one crucial way of how people give feedback. And this is something that I had experienced, I had teachers and lecturers give me feedback on my assignments and projects and this is the exact technique that they use. It is called the "Compliment Sandwich", what it is essentially is that someone gives you praise on the top and bottom and they hit you with some harsh constructive criticism in the middle. I even experienced a few of my secondary school teachers using this while I was in school. 

From what I saw,  there are people who deal with feedback in different ways. Some people take the feedback not too well. Most of the time they will end up rejecting the feedback because they think it is not true and end up very angry at the person providing the feedback. But this Sandwich method is a great way to mix some positive feedback with a bit of constructive criticism because that way it will only motivate the other person to do way better and they won't be as discouraged or angry about the feedback.


From my own personal experience, there are a few ways that people can use in order to give feedback that is positive and helpful for the other person. 

  • Use that Sandwich Method
  • Focus on the situation, behaviour and impact
  • Be Specific with your feedback
  • Encourage new actions and suggest ways to improve them





Five Reasons to Stop Saying "Good Job!"

I was reading this article and the things that I read in this article was quite interesting because the author takes it all the way back to when we were children. As kids, we always used to get praise for all the good things we did such as Riding a bike for the first time, Scoring a goal in football, Learning how to walk etc. But as we grow up most people look for clarity and they need people to tell them "Good job" instead of them saying it naturally because you genuinely think they did a good job instead of having to tell people to tell you. These are just my thoughts but here are some things that I learnt from reading this article. 

From what I read, that sentence "Good job" can take away pleasure, independence and interest. It does interfere with how good a job people actually do. Research has found that people who are praised for doing well at a task tend to stumble on the next task. 

Why? 

Because this tends to put on unnecessary pressure to keep up the good work and they are going to feel like their interest declines and focus deteriorates because they feel the need to keep doing well for others instead of for themselves.


This article that I read is quite the read and it is one that I definitely recommend for others to read to learn about the psychology of the term "Good Job".





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Playable

  First Playable My First Playable game so far At this point right now in the process of making my game, I have now implemented the environment, the 3d character, the HUD interface of the gold coins, the player being able to run forward across the map and move left and right avoiding the obstacles pressing the left and right keys or the A and D keys. I also implemented the trigger where when you run across the coins you are able to collect the coins and the number of coins you collect will appear on the top left of the screen. I adjusted the main camera angle to be a third-person view of the entire game so it gives a good perspective of the coins and the obstacles. I then added plants to give it a better aesthetic and look to the game. The thing I wanted to change from my original vision was that I wanted to make the game way more suited to the theme of the game itself. So instead of wooden spikes, I added logs and instead of tree trunks I added regular trees and then I also added rock

Introduction to a Future Success

  Introduction to myself :)  This is me Nasim Slavotic :) Hello! My name is Nasim Slavotic, I am 20 years old and I am now a 2nd-year student in TUDublin Blanchardstown doing Creative Digital Media. I am from Dublin and I work part-time in my dad's butcher shop here in Blanchardstown in Coolmine near the post office.  What are my hobbies?  In my free time, I like to go to the gym. Also, I like to go out and take pictures with my camera and make videos on my Youtube channel (NaSiM101) which I took a break from for a while from the pandemic but I do love to brainstorm new ideas for videos and discover new trending things. I also love going out with my friends but now I am starting to go back out again since the pandemic had closed everything before but now everything is coming back to normal slowly but surely. When I'm bored I like to head on Photoshop and Illustrator and just make whatever comes in my mind.  https://pxhere.com/en/photo/1621191 Favourite Foods  I am a foodie at h

Alpha

  Alpha  This is my progress, I have updated the HUD and I added a few more features in the environment What is going good? So far so good, the game is coming along well. There are a few scripts I put in such as collecting coins, player movement, environment design, generating random levels and level boundaries.  The Technical Difficulties  But there are a few technical difficulties I am going through which is every time I try to put a rigid body component into my player when I added the jump feature into my player controller script, the player for some reason falls through the map and I tried many times trying to fix the issue but I will try my very hardest to fix it. I also need to add in collision detection with the obstacles and when the player does collide with one of the obstacles it will say game over and you have to restart again. Those are some of the difficulties I am facing, I will try and reach my lecturer or one of my peers in class to see if they know the issue behind thi